Friday, September 12, 2014

Let Freedom Ring


I'm humbled (and astonished, frankly) by the responses I've received to my worst cover letter ever. Obviously, my frustrations with that particular albatross of modern life are not mine alone. Of course, summing oneself up is a necessary evil: on a date, on an interview, meeting potential roommates, social occasions small and large. People persist in asking where you went to college, what you do for money, where you grew up. If you're anything like me, these questions make you squirm, make you feel small, make you feel hopelessly inadequate to the task of telling it like it is with courage and detail and conviction. Because it's exhausting, difficult work. The teeth-grinding truth of it is that we'd all like to simply be seen. We'd all like to skip the small talk.

How many times I've stared at the hateful blank screen pulled up next to my resume and groaned at the burdensome, insanity-producing task of reducing my life and my experiences to sanitized, acceptable language. How often I've hated the final product of these attempts, no matter how polished and good-on-paper, and wished I could say "I'm writing this in two-day underwear and unwashed hair. I have 96 cents in my bank account and cavities I can't afford to fill. Please want me. Please pay me. Please see me. Please don't make me explain."

And yet. Here we are. We must do these things to survive.

But I'm never going to write another boring cover letter ever again. It's a waste of my time, my talent, my energy. I'm not going to do it anymore. If I must sell myself (and oh I must) I'm going to do it in a way that honors my style, my verve, my guts and blood and beating heart and dirty laundry, my unique way of seeing the world and my place in it. I don't want to be employed by anyone who would turn away from the sheer honesty I'll place before them.

So it is my hope that, in addition to being a place where I can write about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and yoga and the quest for the perfect eyeliner, this blog can be a place where I can help others take the leap that I took yesterday. I took that beautiful awful cover letter and I hacked and I reduced and I polished and I sent it off for better or for worse.

And my heart goes out to those like me, those who look at the lump sum of their experiences and their hard-fought, won-with-tears-and-sweat history and despair at the idea of expressing it all in 500 words to a faceless entity, those who get palpitations and clammy hands at the thought of reducing themselves to cliches in the name of making a buck, amongst a sea, a flood, a fucking tidal wave of other poor slobs all trying to do the same. My heart goes out to those reading those cover letters and those personal essays and those blurbs (and I have been one of those) whose eyes are blurred by the awful tedium of sentence after sentence of boilerplate, boring, hackneyed pap that's been wrung dry of anything resembling a coherent message. Fearful language, sloppy language, safe language.

 Because those readers are longing for someone who can tell the truth about themselves with clarity, with spunk, with some spark of life, someone who sends a tingle down the spine, makes them sit up, punch the air, scream "Yes! Finally! Here she is!"  Because those readers will fight for people like that. They'll open up that resume and they'll take on that history and they'll make damn sure it's seen.

So please, if you have a cover letter you hate for a job you'd love to have, send it my way. We'll get those imperfect, rambling, glittering, desperate drafts a place in the sun, a moment in time to just be.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses of words yearning to breathe free. I'll see you. And then we'll go to work. And then together, we'll make our mealy-mouthed bullshit into something that shines like a goddamn crazy diamond.

4 comments:

  1. I have 2 CV-s, one for non-artist professional life (teaching / admin jobs) and an artist cv (writing in Hungarian, + painting: in universal visual language :-) )

    In the artist cv I follow Robert Fulghum’s path, who wrote an essay on how he insists on introducing himself first and most of all: as a human-being. (approx: Who are you, what’s your job? “Human–being”…) My version: „I am a human-being: a painter, a sweetheart, a friend, a sister, a teacher, a student, an assistant, a translator, a someone-others-might-know, a woman in her forties, a Hungarian citizen, a tax-subjec…, a bunch of light and dust mixed and cast into colourful combinations of feelings, thoughts, experiences and roles.” And than list some relevant facts too, because people do need to know that too. ( https://tornyiildiko.wordpress.com/rolam-about-myself/ - (oh, plus sorry, I logged in with the wrong old wordpress account yesterday. )

    This resonates with the advice of the Dalai Lama to put the emphasis on our similarities first, as they are greater and are of priority, and we need to feel that we belong. We are similar, because we all feel happiness and pain, are of the same species, originated from the same ancestor way back than, and here in our one shared home on Earth we are essentially all brothers and sisters. (Or “testvĂ©rek” in Hungarian, one word for boys and girls in a language which does not make grammatical gender differences at all + on a word level generally not.)

    Differences, as shades of the SAME palette can come later, when the unity is established first. Like we have to breath in first and than breathe out. It’s suffocating when we start with the breathe out, with all the differences and the small arbitrary signs taken from our vast and complex life-experiences, that is in fact very individual and may not be fully understood by another ever. The humanbeingness on the other hand is all ours in unity.

    In my opinion :-) , iLdi

    Ps.
    I loved this essay by Ira Glass this week on creativity: http://www.brainpickings.org/2014/01/29/ira-glass-success-daniel-sax/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A place where you can write about Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Are we the same person? I had similar motives starting my blog back in the day, and picking it back up again a few months ago -- my interest in reviewing film and TV stemmed heavily from those beginnings.

    Blogs can be freeing and burdensome and trite and powerful all at the same time. A reflection of a life being lived and moving forward. Keep on keeping on (an whatever other cliches fit this context.)

    - Kim

    http://throughthereels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you like crazy, endlessly. I know moms are supposed to keep to the shadows, blog-comments-wise, so I'll slip into my cave soon, but, just this once, let it be said that I love you and I will follow you anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can absolutely relate to this. At the risk of sounding pathetic I've been applied to over 80 jobs in the past year and have had no luck (since my confidence levels are at an all time low please note I'm a college graduate with a fairly impressive resume but my boss is retiring at the end of the year and I'll need a new job).

    These are not fancy jobs. Administrative assistant positions mostly but on occasion I find jobs that speak to my passion (mostly non-profit work in Detroit or something involving education). In both cases my cover letter is a variation of the same and it's all boring and professional. On rare occasions I've included heartfelt reasons why I'm interested in a position or a personal experience but it's equally fruitless. It's demoralizing to say the least but good to know I'm not alone in this experience. Although the lack of phone calls I receive is definitely an indicator of the tidal wave of other desperate job seekers out there...

    www.carriedawaydetroit.com

    ReplyDelete